A sign at the monastery entrance still informs the visitor that the monastery remains closed to the public. However we are pleased to announce a slight easing up on our restrictions on access to the monastery and grounds. The Retreat House will begin receiving retreatants on Monday, September 14. Initially, the Retreat House will only be operating at half of its capacity—that is, eight guests. Unfortunately, the vulnerability of most in our monastic community still argues against our opening our masses and prayer services to the public at this time. So please be aware that if you choose to make a retreat with us, you will not have access to the monastery chapel, holy mass, or any of the offices. Until further notice, the confessor/counselor will also not be available. For more information on safety measures being implemented in our Retreat House and for making a reservation, please email Carol Hensley at firstname.lastname@example.org
MONASTERY FRUITCAKES FOR THANKSGIVING AND CHRISTMAS 2020
The tragic death (earlier this year) of our Bakery Manager, Jerry Reid, and the subsequent interruption of fruitcake production has resulted in fewer cakes being available for sale this year. Monastery Fruitcakes, Creamed Honeys, and Monastery Truffles can be purchased online at: www.monasteryfruitcake.org Please note that these are the 2.25 lb. round fruitcake and the online price is $40/cake plus shipping.
In the light of continuing health concerns relating to COVID-19, the Gift Shop remains closed until further notice, but from Friday, October 16, the Smaller 1.5 lb. loaf fruitcake will be available for pick-up at the Gift Shop. To this end, please note:
- These Smaller 1.5 lb. loaf fruitcakes will be placed in the foyer of the Gift Shop—which will be open from 8.30 a.m., until 4.30 p.m., Sunday through Saturday—no monk will be in attendance.
- The price of each 1.5 lb. fruitcake is $25.00—this price includes sales tax.
- Checks are preferred, but cash is also welcome—please ensure that you have the exact amount as change cannot be provided.
- A deposit box for checks/cash is also located in the foyer.
- Unfortunately, the logistics involved dissuade us from making any other products or items from the Gift Shop available at this time—we thank you for your understanding. We do, however, have a few Sale items which include Monastery Truffles, Milk Chocolate Squares, and a limited assortment of Trappist Preserves, Jellies, and Jams.
- Also, please note that the monastery and abbey chapel remain closed to the public until further notice.
Please join us in praying for all those more directly concerned with responding to this crisis that has so suddenly impacted our daily lives and that will present significant challenges to how we live out our Christian faith and commitment. We also remember in prayer the many who have died and intercede for the consolation and comforting of their families and loved ones they leave behind.