As 2021 gets underway and the Season of Lent approaches, the sign at the monastery entrance still informs the visitor that the monastery remains closed to the public. However, our Retreat House is open even though it continues operating at half of its capacity—that is, eight guests. Unfortunately, at time of writing, none of the monks have been vaccinated, and the vulnerability of most in our monastic community still argues against our opening our masses and prayer services to the public at this time. So please be aware that if you choose to make a retreat with us, you will not have access to the monastery chapel, holy mass, or any of the offices. Until further notice, the confessor/counselor will also not be available. For more information on safety measures being implemented in our Retreat House and for making a reservation, please email Carol Hensley at firstname.lastname@example.org However, we attempt to livestream daily mass and the main offices of the day: Lauds and Mass at 7.00 a.m. (Sunday Mass at 10.00 a.m.); Vespers at 5.30 p.m. and Compline at 7.30 p.m. (Please be aware that the quality of both image and sound is far less than ideal because of technical limitations) Anyone wishing to utilize this option need simply follow this link: https://www.twitch.tv/vatrappists
MONASTERY FRUITCAKES AND THE GIFT SHOP
Creamed Honeys, and Monastery Truffles can still be purchased online at: www.monasteryfruitcake.org In the light of continuing health concerns relating to COVID-19, the Gift Shop remains closed until further notice. We thank our faithful fruitcake customers for availing themselves of the pick-up service offered at the Gift Shop and if you still wish to purchase these fruitcakes, they will remain available over the next few weeks. To this end, please note:
- These Smaller 1.5 lb. loaf fruitcakes will be placed in the foyer of the Gift Shop—which will be open from 8.30 a.m., until 4.30 p.m., Sunday through Saturday—no monk will be in attendance.
- The price of each 1.5 lb. fruitcake is $25.00—this price includes sales tax.
- Checks are preferred, but cash is also welcome—please ensure that you have the exact amount as change cannot be provided.
- A deposit box for checks/cash is also located in the foyer.
- Unfortunately, the logistics involved dissuade us from making any other products or items from the Gift Shop available at this time—we thank you for your understanding. We do, however, have a few Sale items which include a limited assortment of Trappist Preserves, Jellies, and Jams.
- Also, please note that the monastery and abbey chapel remain closed to the public until further notice.
Please join us in praying for all those more directly concerned with responding to this crisis that has so suddenly impacted our daily lives and that will present significant challenges to how we live out our Christian faith and commitment. We also remember in prayer the many who have died and intercede for the consolation and comforting of their families and loved ones they leave behind.