At the door of the monastery, place a sensible old man who knows how to take a message and deliver a reply.” (Rule of St. Benedict – Chapter 66)
If there are craftsmen in the monastery, let them practice their crafts with all humility. If any of the work of the craftsmen is to be sold…let them always remember…that in all things God may be glorified.” (Rule of St. Benedict – Chapter 57)
- The Gift Shop remains closed until further notice, but the smaller fruitcakes are available for pick-up—please see below
- See also
The first building many of our guests visit when they come to the monastery is the Gift Shop/Porter’s Cottage located at the end of the entrance road to the monastery. Our gift shop features books on spirituality, theology, Cistercian and monastic spirituality, original Icons, other religious art and devotional objects, greeting cards, our own monastery products, as well as those from other Trappist monasteries. Included in new merchandise are various items with the Abbey logo on them like coffee mugs, t-shirts, and hooded long-sleeve shirts.
MONASTERY FRUITCAKES FOR THANKSGIVING AND CHRISTMAS 2020
The tragic death (earlier this year) of our Bakery Manager, Jerry Reid, and the subsequent interruption of fruitcake production has resulted in fewer cakes being available for sale this year. Monastery Fruitcakes, Creamed Honeys, and Monastery Truffles can be purchased online at: www.monasteryfruitcake.org. Please note that these are the 2.25 lb. round fruitcake and the online price is $40/cake plus shipping.
In the light of continuing health concerns relating to COVID-19, the Gift Shop remains mostly closed until further notice, but from Friday, October 16, the Smaller 1.5 lb. loaf fruitcake will be available for pick-up in the Gift Shop foyer.
To this end, please note:
- These Smaller 1.5 lb. loaf fruitcakes will be placed in the foyer of the Gift Shop—which will be open from 8.30 a.m., until 4.30 p.m., Sunday through Saturday—no monk will be attendance.
- The price of each 1.5 lb. fruitcake is $25.00—this price includes sales tax.
- Checks are preferred, but cash is also welcome—please ensure that you have the exact amount as change cannot be provided.
- A deposit box for checks/cash is also located in the foyer.
- Unfortunately, the logistics involved dissuade us from making other products or items from the Gift Shop available at this time. However, we are presently selling our Monastery Truffles, Milk Chocolate Squares and a limited selection of Trappist Preserves, Jams, and Jellies.
- Also, please note that the monastery and abbey chapel remain closed to the public until further notice.
See our Fruitcake availability and learn about other products made right here at Holy Cross Abbey
Or go to the Bakery Webstore.